(Preliminary - check back as updates are almost a certainty)
Baden-Baden International Chess Congress (July 16-August 6 1870)
Here are the links to some of the original chess periodical literature which covered this tournament. I would say that the Schachzeitung coverage was the most authoritative. The tournament received very good reporting all around, with the exception of a few missing game scores (i.e. games with no movelists).
The google documents provided in the following links (which will be updated so long as this parenthetical remark remains – so check back) is the result of work I did to convert and format the original scanned periodicals so that the text is OCR’ed.
Westminster Chess Club Papers (en):
- Westminster Chess Club Papers – Initial Rules (~v3 1870-05 p004).gdoc
- Westminster Chess Club Papers – Final Rules (~v3 1870-08 p049+).gdoc
- Westminster Chess Club Papers – Main Tournament Results (~v3 (1870-09) p72 +).gdoc
The Westminster Chess Club Papers was edited by Telemachus Brownsmith, and was actually entitled The Westminster Papers for the volumes above. I have omitted including any of the game scores which may have been published.
Please note that some of these documents consist of several clippings appended together, and so the filename is reflective of only the main excerpt’s content and location.
Neue Berliner Schachzeitung (en):
- Neue Berliner Schachzeitung v7 (1870-04) p124 – Intial Notice (en).gdoc
- Neue Berliner Schachzeitung v7 (1870-07-08) p242 (en).gdoc
Neue Berliner Schachzeitung (de – wtih original scans):
- Neue Berliner Schachzeitung v7 (1870-04) p124 — Initial Notice (de).gdoc
- Neue Berliner Schachzeitung v7 (1870-07-08) p242 (de).gdoc
Beware the quality of the German into English translations. It is basically just a Google translation.